- It is the only South American country with two official languages: Spanish and Guarani (a native language).
- The damn at Itaipú holds the largest hydroelectric power plant in the world. Almost all of Paraguay's power comes from it.
- It is the only flag in the world with a different front and back (i.e. the coats of arms are different).
- Asados (barbecues) are a regular weekend occurrence.
- It is one of only two landlocked South American Countries (Bolivia is the other).
- Tereré (a drink) is a national pastime.
- First country in South America to have a railroad.
- Ranked as the cheapest city to live in (150 out of 150).
- Before the Triple Alliance War (1864-1870), Paraguay was the most economically advanced and richest country in South America. Now it is the second poorest.
- In the desert regions (the Chaco), some telephone numbers only have 3 or 4 digits.
- The full name of the capital city, Asunción, is La Muy Noble y Leal Ciudad de Nuestra Señora Santa María de la Asunción (The Very Noble and Loyal City of Our Lady Saint Maria of Assumption).
- The headquarters of the CONMEBOL (the South American Soccer Confederation), one of FIFA's sub-governing bodies, is in Luque, which is just outside the capital Asunción.
Friday, July 3, 2009
Tidbits about Paraguay
Here are a few fun facts about Paraguay.